Poll Everywhere

Has it ever happened to anyone to receive some information and think: “I could use that!”?

Well, that has happened to me. I was introduced by a group of colleagues to www.polleverywhere.com.

I was part of an exercise where the audience in the classroom had to answer to an “uncomfortable” question on immigration. The poll was set up so that everyone with a phone could text to a number answering  just “yes” or “no”.

The exercise turned out to be anonymous and did not make anyone in the audience uncomfortable.

At that point I thought to myself: ‘Why not use it in a language classroom?” In real time!

For a “hot topic” question such as on Italian stereotypes for example. You could use it to quiz your students quckly on a difficult verb conjugation. You could set it so it becomes a “warm up” activity that opens to discussion.

It is simple enough. Signing up at www.polleverywhere.com gives the possibility to watch a 3 minute video introduction to know the varied possibilities of use and to set up a poll.

It works in three steps:1.Ask your audience a question with the Poll Everywhere app.2.Audience answers in real time using mobile phones, Twitter, or web browsers.3.See your response live on the web or in a PowerPoint or Keynote presentation.

it is quite simple:When you make a poll, you choose what type of question you want to ask. You can ask people a multiple choice question or let them respond freely with any text reply.

You control when a poll is started or stopped. Stop them after you’re done to prevent additional responses.

You can choose whether a poll should allow multiple responses from the same person. Poll Everywhere can tell if their computer or cell phone number is trying to vote a second time.

I found it simple enough for me to use and I am not a technology savvy either.

If you try it out and have more inputs let me know! 

0 comments for “Poll Everywhere

1. marion.gehlker@yale.edu
    March 28, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Hi Anna,
    sounds like a great idea but it says it’s $349/semester for instructors, and a one-time free trial. Or did you find a better deal elsewhere?
    Thanks,
    Marion

2. Anna Iacovella
    March 29, 2014 at 10:49 am

Hello Marion!
    I did not pay for any extra services.
    I used the basic trial offer, which is FREE!

3. Chris
    July 2, 2014 at 5:33 am

Hi Anna, and others. In the following link, you are able to create polls that are limited to 40 responses. You can create more than one poll without signing up for the serving or paying anything. This is specifically targeted towards education. https://www.polleverywhere.com/my/polls