Last Friday, December 18, the CLS was proud to host a symposium in honor of the countless and extraordinary contributions made to language study at Yale University by Joe Gordon, Deputy Dean of Yale College and Dean of Undergraduate Education. Entitled “Language Study at Yale: Past, Present, and Future,” the symposium featured several speeches offering unique perspectives on Dean Gordon’s connection to the people, partnerships, and experiences that have, for decades, contributed to a wealth of opportunities for language study at Yale.
Full video of the event appears below the program. Comments are most welcome, too. Please note that if it’s your first time commenting here on Multilingual Commons, it will take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for your comment to appear.
Words of Welcome
Jonathan Holloway, Dean of Yale College and Edmund S. Morgan Professor of African American Studies, History, and American Studies
“‘Do you know the land?’: Language, opera, sexuality, education” – Ralph Hexter, Provost & Executive Vice Chancellor of UC Davis, Distinguished Professor of Classics & Comparative Literature
Moderator: Nelleke van Deusen-Scholl, Director of the Center for Language Study & Associate Dean of Yale College
- Mary Miller, Sterling Professor in the History of Art and Former Dean of Yale College
- Frank Wolf, Dean Emeritus of the School of Professional Studies, Columbia University
- Edward Kamens, Sumitomo Professor of East Asian Languages and Literatures
- George Levesque, Associate Dean of Yale College and Dean of Academic Programs
- Sybil Alexandrov, Senior Lector II, Department of Spanish & Portuguese
- Jason Douglass, B.A. Film Studies & East Asian Studies at Yale University
Joe Gordon, Deputy Dean of Yale College & Dean of Undergraduate Education
(From beginning of event to end of panel discussion – total time approx. 2:09)
“Languages at Yale: Past, Present & Future” Symposium for Joe Gordon – Pt. 1 from Yale Center for Language Study on Vimeo.
(Repeats panel discussion and includes remarks by Joe Gordon beginning at 1:27:57)
“Languages at Yale: Past, Present & Future” – Pt. 2 from Yale Center for Language Study on Vimeo.
Click on an image once to see slightly larger; click again to see full-sized image.